Novice Obedience Clicker Training Classes
These classes are suitable for puppies who have completed our puppy training course.
Clicker training is an operant conditioning method that we like to encourage our clients to use in our obedience courses. The clicker is used as a marker of the correct behaviour that our dogs have demonstrated. We shape the dogs behaviour in a kind and gentle way ensuring all dogs are calm and happy whilst they learn. We encourage the use of treats along with the clicker. A clicker will be provided for you to keep as part of the registration.
Each course is for 6 weeks, classes are for 45 minutes and the cost of the course is £75 which is payable in advance by bank transfer.
You will be assessed on the 6th week on the following behaviours:
- Lead work walking at different speeds and using a release cue – walk your puppy or dog on a loose lead at different speeds maintaining focus and control. Use a release cue (e.g. break or release)
- Active sit and down – with your puppy or dog walking on a loose lead ask them to alternately sit and lay down beside you
- Stay for 1 minute (lead on the floor) – your puppy or dog should stay for 1 minute whilst your lead is on the floor
- Recall with distraction using legs to finish – your puppy or dog must come back to you on first call or whistle whilst running past other dogs and finishing with legs.
- Emergency stop – your puppy or dog should stop a minimum of one pace away from you when asked. (Either with a verbal cue or whistle)
- Go to mat – send your puppy or dog to their bed using a verbal command. They should lay on the mat and stay there
- Finish – demonstrate your puppy coming around the back of you and sitting on your left
- Walking calmly through a gate – your puppy or dog must wait by the gate until asked to walk forward beside you. Once through the gate ask for a sit and close the gate
- Sit for a meal
Places are restricted to 6 per class. (from time to time we may be able to accommodate additional attendees.
All dogs must be friendly and able to work in small groups with other dogs.
Payment is required in advance by bank transfer to guarantee your place. (We are unable to accept cheques)
Vaccinations: All puppies and dogs attending classes must be fully vaccinated and proof of vaccination must be shown at your first class. Should you choose not to vaccinate, a letter stating your dog’s blood titre levels must be presented on headed paper and signed by your veterinary surgeon. If you choose these routes, Paws 4 Training will not be held responsible for any illness your dog may contract whilst training with Paws 4 Training at our training centre. *EXCEPTION – Puppies attending socialisation classes will be accepted after having their first vaccination, by signing the registration form owners accept that although the risk is minimal attendance with your puppy after having one vaccination is at your own discretion.
We only use kind and gentle methods in our classes and we do not allow the use of choke (check) chains, Slip leads or collars or half choke (check) collars, or non-pull harnesses.
The start dates of classes and content may be subject to change
Upcoming Dates & Availability
04 Aug 2018 , 11004 spaces
07 Aug 2018 , 1930Course Full
15 Sep 2018 , 12006 spaces
18 Sep 2018 , 19306 spaces
06 Nov 2018 , 19306 spaces
10 Nov 2018 , 12006 spaces